Monday, November 24, 2008

Flowers in Singapore

I am really not feeling well today, so I decided to share a few flower pictures.


The flowers on the island are beautiful and some very unique. I have been told I don't miss a thing, and I hope that is a true statement. I would hate to miss something wonderful because I was too busy to open my eyes and look at the beauty around me.


I have made new discoveries like the Heliconias:



They grow in forested or dense greenery areas around Singapore and bring deep colors to the forests and parks. Heliconias have a bright color to attract hummingbird and bats for pollination.

Speaking of bats, I found another little guy hanging around a couple of weekends ago:


Yes, I even look up - you would be amazed at what you find hanging around looking down.

Ants. What is it with ants and flowers? I have seen so many flowers covered with ants. You may have noticed one of my pictures above also had ants. This was a stem of what used to be flowers:



Some flowers I have not yet identified, but I have certainly enjoyed them. The one below is very similar to our 'spiderwort' or 'forget me not' in the US. Is this just another color?


Is this a form of Hybiscus?


Of course orchids are plentiful in Singapore. There are orchid farms all over the island that grow them professionally. As I understand, Malaysia has orchid farms as well. There are more colors of orchids here than I have ever seen in my life - even in nursery's back home. Regardless of where they come from, I love them:


Finally, last but certainly not least, I found out the name of the tree that has the gorgeous flowers. This tree is plentiful on the island, but every native I have asked looked at it blankly on my iTouch and said they have never seen it - over a dozen people. I assume it is because the tree from a distance is so homely:


But upon closer examination, you see its true beauty:


And finally - I found the explanation on Civil District Trail #2. I think it was in Esplanade Park. It is a Cannon Ball Tree - appropriately named if I do say so myself.


So in ending, the next time you are out, no matter where you live, take a moment and notice the little things around you. You will be amazed at what you might have missed.



Off to rest up and try to get well.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry you are sick with the diverticulitis again. You prolly need to find a doc? I love you and the pics of the flowers are indeed beautiful!

Pam said...

love the pics! Wait till you go to the botanical garden...it's gonna blow ya away!

feel better!