Monday, November 17, 2008

Civil District Trail 1 - finally :-)

This past weekend we took the Civil District Trail Part 1 of Singapore’s historic district. I cannot reiterate enough; if you are here and have not done these trails, they are a 'must do': http://itclub.vs.moe.edu.sg/cyberfair2003/landmarks/index.html

There IS a lot of walking to do, but there are plenty of places to stop, rest and drink water along the way. Don't get dehydrated like I did.

There are so many wonderful buildings in Singapore - I just cannot put them all on the blog. I will share a few of them today:

This is the Fullerton Building (now the Fullerton Hotel) built in 1928. It is breathtaking:





This is the old Parliment House built in 1827. It now houses a heritage and arts center:

This is the Supreme Court Building, built in 1939 - the last colonial classical building to be built in Singapore. It has wonderful Corinthian columns and a large beautiful dome.



As we got closer we were able to see there was a photography shoot going on here for a bride. We stood a watched a bit and saw another bride waiting around the corner. Apparently it is a favorite spot for pictures.

As I passed this bride, she smiled and I fanned my hand at my face and rolled my eyes and she made a melting motion on the steps agreeing with me. Language knows no boundries. She gave me a thumbs up when I took her picture. She was very beautiful and her dress simple - but elegant.


Tan Kim Seng Fountain was built in 1882 as recoginition to a prominent Chinese community leader who donated a large sum of money to bring free piped water into Singapore. Isn't it beautiful?

These are the Esplanade Theaters on the bay looking from the Queen Elizabeth Walkway in Esplanade Park. Nearby on the right you can see the Singapore flyer. Both are icons for Singapore. The locals call the Esplanade Theaters 'Durian' buildings - supposedly because the look like the stinky, 'yummy' fruit durian. They are truly an asset to the Singapore skyline. I would call them the armadillo buildings if it were me :-)


Meet Sir Stamford Raffles. This is the site he was thought to first set foot in Singapore (across from Boat Quay seen in the background) on 28 January 1819 with an entourage of 120 indian assistants and soldiers. He was the founder of 'modern' Singapore. This is a polymarble statue, which is a duplicate cast of this original 1887 bronze statue sitting outside the Victoria Theather and Concert Hall.

This is the original 1887 bronze statue sitting outside the Victoria Theather and Concert Hall.






And the concert hall from a distance:







The Cavenagh Bridge is beautiful and well constructed. From a distance it looks beautiful and intricate. As we got closer were were not disappointed:








And quite the contrast of the buildings next to the Fullerton Hotel and bridge:







But we were a bit shocked just before we crossed over the bridge ;-)





Boys are boys no matter where you go. These bronzes (?) are pefect examples.

Another great weekend and it is just what I love to do. This part of Singapore intrigues me.
Hundreds of years and buildings in wonderful condition - with upkeep and some remodeling of course.
Where has our carpentry skills gone? It seems like with the large equipment we have now that we should be building such works of art for others to enjoy generations from now. I am amazed at every old building I see here - such detail and work... and so long ago. Such pride.

No comments: