Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Things We Miss...




We are getting used to some things here, and some - not so much. I was looking forward to watching some of the shows with the major network sweeps, but it is not meant to be. These are the signs I get on each website. Imagine my surprise to find out we still get to watch the limited tv we have here in Singapore.

I am much more informed about the 2008 Presidential Election that I have ever been - that is the only good thing about our very limited version of tv. Singapore controls their airwaves very well - and allows its people to see only what it wants to.

Let me see, I can see Oprah 20 times a day - I have gotten to dislike her very much - opinions and all. I can watch Fox News, CNN, Starz and HBO. That is it unless I want to watch a show in a different language.

We could buy a Slingbox I think - it would be especially nice if Steve could stay home half the day and watch TV. We have the whole 12 hour thing going and no DVD recorder to record all those shows anyway. Oh well.

There are a few other things we miss:

Kool-Aid
Miracle Whip (though we *think* we might have found some)
Margarine
Shedd Spread
Crest Toothpaste
Macaroni and Cheese (boxed)
"Lunchtime" Spaghetti - our kids know
Tomato Sauce
American Cheese Slices
Gillette Track II Razor Blades
Palmolive Dish Soap
Steve's Shampoo
Arrid Extra Dry
Rolaids
Popsicles
Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
Soft Corn Tortillas
Milk that does not taste like cream or weird
Salted Peanuts by the 5# bag
SOS pads
Cake Mixes
Brownie Mixes
Garlic Pasta
Frozen Extra Sweet Corn
Velveeta Cheese
Normal (not fragrant) Rice
HillShire Farms Sausage
Sam's Bacon - ok, just bacon
Wops (canned biscuits)
Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls
Dill Pickles
Celery SaltHeart Smart Cereal
Fabric Softener Sheets
Decent Toilet Paper
Puffs
Top Sheets for our bed
House Shoes
Being able to buy clothes to fit - not for toothpicks or tiny people.
Our own car/truck
Driving
Microwave... lol...
Band Width... cannot d/l newspapers
Home
And Mostly You...

Those are just a few of the things we miss... lol...

There are a few (very few) of these things we can get here - but they are *very* expensive. A can of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls is over $12!!

Of course, YOU cannot be replaced or bought. We miss you all. All the comforts of home...




6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am sorry, Sis. Would you like me to send a goodie box? And if so, which items do you want most? I am DVR'ing Survivor, what else should I DVR? I love you and miss you!

surprisetriplets said...

How could you DVR Survivor? I didn't miss it did I??? I love you Sis. Sorry they don't have everything there that we know and love. You'd think they could just pack up one store and bring it over there for fellow Americans wouldn't you? Love you lots!

Elizabeth said...

Nope, you did not miss it! I am DVR'ing it TOMORROW night. Just wanted sis to know I am doing so and will keep the whole show if she wants. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the list. Now I know what I should bring when I move ;)

Fabric Softener Sheets: what brand do u use? I could bring some if you could wait until next year.

Thanks again
warin

cajunsis said...

Thanks Warin;

That is one of the things we can get here for a price :-) However, most of the washers do have a softner dispenser - but you have to have BOUGHT softner to use it... lol... the EXPATS stores do have products from other countries to buy - for a price.

Where are you coming from? If you are coming from the US, I can give you some hints if you e-mail me privately. I was lucky enough to have someone do the same for me and would love to 'pay it forward'.

There are many things here to get used to, but it is a very fun country to live in :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Euvah,
Have you been to Tanglin Mall yet?
You actually can get many of those things there and in the American brands. You can even get American milk! However, as you say-you must pay the expat price. Some days it is sooo worth it. Other days - not so much. Talk to you soon. Sarah