Thursday, September 25, 2008

See that Rain? Hear That Sound?

That sound is huge thunderclaps - on the morning of the beginning of the long awaited 'Worlds First Ever Formula 1 Night Race!'. It will be held right here in Singapore - and unfortunately - this morning we woke to huge downpours and tremendous claps of thunder :-( Tonight the qualifying rounds start.

Our normal view by now you are familiar with:


But today this is our view:


Our normal view of the school field addition:


Today our view:


Unfortunately, those are small lakes you see there :-(

I hope the rains die down and we have a great, exciting 'first-ever night race' - safe, dry and fun.
Steve had trouble getting a taxi this morning - a sure sign of this weekend's challenges. We have made some plans - away from the races - I just hope we can get around to do them.


Last night we went to our favorite hawker stand on East Coast Parkway - the one right next to the beach. After eating the yummy food - not in our favorite spot (can you imagine someone had it?) - we walked over to the 360° Cableski Park and watched some action. It is basically right next to our hawker stand - and I cannot figure out why we have never made that small stroll over to see it before!

We watched in amazement while the cables picked up skiers and took them around in a huge circle. It was a blast to watch the new skiers trying to get up on the boards, the more experienced ones playing - and counting the rounds (15) the really good skier did - mostly one handed! I figure he sleeps really well at night.

The cables themselves are amazing to watch. It took us a bit, but we finally figured out how they worked. You should check out Singapore 360 Degree cable Ski park online - and look it up on You Tube too. It is a definite 'redo' on our night out again. It was a fun, relaxing night out.

The taxi drivers are the best tourist guides. If you are here in Singapore, be sure and question them about everything you can think of - most of them love sharing about Singapore and make you laugh. I had one work with me for half the island teaching me to say allllrrrrrong - and I finally got it! He cheered with me and we had a good laugh. I didn't watch his driving - I think that is why I started talking with them - to take my mind OFF the driving and traffic ;-)

Thanks Steve. What an amazing place you have brought us to :-) I am having fun venturing out, trying the different foods, watching the people, learning about so many diffferent cultures and seeing the sights. Of all the places not stateside you could have taken me to, this is a cool place to be.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds sucky. I hope your day gets better. I love you.