Sunday, August 24, 2008

Singapore's BIG Zoo

Steve and I are lollygaggers. We got up this morning and lounged around for a bit, and finally got out the door. When we told the taxi driver "Zoo" he said "go far!". We had no idea how far the zoo was, and of course we never seem to take in to account the traffic issues the island has. And... we had no earthly idea how BIG the zoo was!

In all honesty, I was comparing the Singapore Zoo with the New Orleans Audubon Zoo. It takes an entire day to see New Orlean's Zoo, but I did not think the Singapore Zoo compared to ours. Boy, was I mistaken! New Orlean's Zoo is spread out; vast areas of land for the animals. Singapore Zoo has all kinds of nooks and cranny's to look through. Don't get me wrong, the animals have plenty of area to roam in, but it is so well developed and beautiful were in for an experience!

Before I go any further, here are a couple of numbers for comparison: New Orleans Zoo covers 58 acres. Singapore Zoo covers 28 hectares - which equals around 69 and a quarter acres. Those of you that know our zoo can now compare how big this one is. The difference is huge in other ways as well; there are weaving paths through this zoo and it nearly impossible to keep up with where you have been or need to go - but it is like you never leave the wildlife.
The Orang Utan (orangatan) are free range - which means they go where ever they want in a certain area.




Even right over our heads!


It is amazing how close to all the animals we could get :-)


The baboon exibit is my favorite so far... however, we are not even half way through the zoo yet.It will take several more trips to finish exploring.

I love how the baboon mommy takes care of her young: But their young don't think too much of it:

Fruit growing on the trees even!
The flowers are beautiful here, but I will write more about that in another blog. Today is zoo day.

The Lion was kinda bored:
Don't you think he looks like a bored lonely pussy cat?

The Jaquar was just browsing around:It was handy to see the sign in front of us explaining he could jump 20 yards or so. We were about 15 feet away. Glad he liked us.

The Roo is a lollygagger too:

The Elephant's were busing getting ready for a ride:


One of the many white tigers was checking us out for supper:

Thankfully we went home to bbq and didn't give him the chance for a tasty meal.


I got the better side of a picture of Zebras:

(I got a good one too, but I thought this one was more interesting.)

Here are the giraffes checking out the grounds keepers:

Oh, wait! I think they were uninterested.


And this is one brave man:
Yes, he had all his fingers, Steve and I both counted!
Finally, I wasn't too keen on this area:

It is nice to know you are now roaming the same island with some of the deadliest snakes on the planet. The list of venomous snakes go on and on. I know my camera knew what was best for me, the battery died and thankfully I did not find my back up. Just think! I would have been able to show you pictures of our slithery neighbors :-D
However, I did get a nice overview of the snakes we have on our little island; several different types of Python, King Cobra, Viper, Banded Krait, and let's not forget the Boa Constrictor.

I am no longer a nature lover on the island, wandering aimlessly around looking for pretty birds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks like an awesome zoo!