Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Nice End to a Icky Day

When Steve got in, I think he saw the tension in my face from the day of lotsa men, nolah speaklah englishlah, and constant banging from outside and in.

He took me out to eat - to a place called Bernies on the East Coast Parkway - on the beach side park. It was raining, and the sound of the rain, the ships in the distance and the candle light quiet outside table relaxed me. Of course, I am sure the Daiquiri did not hurt, but it was really a tense day. For once I felt like I needed a drink to make it all go away. It did not make it all go away, but I am relaxed and I am sleepy. 
 


Here are a few pictures of the area we were in. 
 





And of course our candle light :-)


 
If it had not been raining, I think we would have walked in the park too. He said the entire length of the EC Parkway is a long park. How pleasant.
 

We both had baby back ribs, baked potato and fresh veggies. The bbq sauce here has a different flavor. The veggies were cooked with some green stuff (looked like seaweed) and they didn't taste like the yellow squash and carrots - but they sure did look like it. I think that is the hardest thing about living here - getting used to the food. It is really, really, and did I say really? Really different. Nothing to compare to at home. Not even asian or chinese food. What they have here is very different from anything I have ever had. Steve says Korea will be even better - or is that worse? rofl...
 



I think I will be ok once I figure out what the odd tastes (spices?) are that I don't care for, but until then, I have not found the perfect meal. This one was very good though.




This is a pictures of just some of the ships at sunset. Isn't it pretty?
 


On the bill, there is an automatic 10% 'tip' added to the bill. The waiter's and waitresses do not get the tip. The owner gets the tips. If you want a server to get the tip, you must hand it directly to the server. 
 
Tonight, our bill was S$90.00 and we gave the young lady a $10 tip. These people do not expect tips. I wish he could have seen the dance (she was behind him) she made when she went around the corner waving the tip at the other waitress. They appeared to be friends, and both were very, very excited. Yep, S$10.00 was worth that sight.  The men come back tomorrow. I-lah hope-lah they-yah finish yah. 

Carry on my friends - enjoy America. Ain't no place like home. Not even this beautiful tropical island :-(

No comments: