Tuesday, June 24, 2008

If It Wasn't for the Last Minute...



I wouldn't get anything done! Raelee loves shopping at the Dollar Tree for anyone having a birthday. Cheap stuff and fun for a 5 year old. We went shopping for Papa's birthday and she tossed this in the basket and said "papa needs this", not having a clue what it was or what it said. I told her to wait a minute (I had not read it yet), but once I read it I said, "yeah, papa DOES need that."

This statement fits my hubby perfectly! He is a procrastinator; a MOWgrastinator, SHAVEcrastinator, TRAVELcrastinator and a PACKcrastinator. He is infamous for waiting until the last minute to do anything. Granted he works very well under pressure, but I don't. I start packing weeks in advance, he packs minutes in advance. I get tickets months in advance, he gets them the night before - even for a 'round the world trip. Got the idea?
 
Last night did not go as planned. I anticipated a nice quiet evening watching tv and relaxing. I cooked a nice pot roast for us, knowing it will be the last 'home cooking' he will have for a very long time. Once we get to Singapore, our lives take new changes - and menus will be one of the largest changes we will go through. Anyway, he cleaned his shop for the truck to go in it, put the truck in it, picked up things he needed to before leaving, and we ate. By the time he got to packing it was 10:30pm. We got to bed after 12:30 - finally after packing, showering and getting everything by the door ready to walk out while half asleep. It was not a nice, quiet evening.
We had to get up at 3:30am. My favorite saying when I don't want to do something like get up is BAH HUMBUG! Man, did I say that this morning! We got up, fumbled through getting ready and out the door. We did not talk on the way, and if he looked at me I started to cry. Not a good start to a crummy day.
At the airport, we ate beignets, said our goodbyes and yes I cried some more. My stomach was rolling as it has been for a week. This did not help it.
He got in the "Elite" line (read quick) and went through the security gates. As he did, I looked down and saw a bag under the dividing lines in the normal line - unattended. Mind you the normal line for security was very long and the bag was near the front. I watched it for a few moments, and realized - THERE WAS REALLY NO ONE WITH THIS BAG!! Just as I went to say something to the guard, someone else beat me to it. Security encompassed it immediately and started clearing people. A man from the back of the line came to the front and asked what the problem is... and claimed the bag saying he was watching it the entire time. Yeah, right. He was 25 feet away and there were dozens of people between it and him - there was no way he could have seen it. 
I got to see 6 stern guards take the man and the bag away. Just as all this began, I got to see a last glimpse of my hubby. I don't know what happened with all of that fiasco, but I was glad to hear Steve made it to Houston safely. This is not how I wanted our last 24 hours to go.
Anyway, if it wasn't for the last minute last night, Steve would still be here today. He is such a last minute guy - and that is one of the very few things about him that annoys me. I shake my head in disbelief (with my tummy in knots) while I wait for him to get to "the last minute"... rofl...
I keep thinking about today. He has been traveling now for 13 hours and still has not made it to Japan. After he makes it there, waits through his layover, he still has hours to fly to get to Singapore. I will be doing this in a month. How does he do it? How will I do it?
We are literally going to be over a half a world away. I thought the world was getting smaller... now I realize it is not. Even with fast planes we will still be more than a day away from home. There is a 14 hour time difference. Singapore is 14 hours ahead of Louisiana. We will be snoozing at the end of tomorrow, when you are just opening your eyes to it. Geeez.
 

1 comment:

Sandy said...

this is so funny!